On July 1, 2020, Lantuun Dohio USA in collaboration with Arlington County, VA coordinated and hosted the first public live session for the county residents with the focus on the Mongolian-speaking community. The session featured representatives from various departments to address the common challenges that resulted from COVID-19 and resources available to the community.
The information regarding available public assistance programs to Arlington County residents during COVID-19 Pandemic is provided by Dr. Reuben Varghese Director of Public Health, Brooke Hammond Pérez Director of Economic Independence, Bryna Helfer Assistant County Manager, and Diane Kresh Hunger Free Arlington. During the session, Lantuun Dohio members Geser Bat-Erdene and Nominsuren Munkhuu translated this vital information into Mongolian for the Mongolian Community.
The representatives from the county provided information on
- Emergency financial assistance during pandemic for rental, utility, medical, transportation, internet bill, child care subsidy, and/or housing subsidies
- Food Assistance and Drives
- Free assistance and application to Medicaid and Medicare
- Assistance to apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program SNAP
- Assistance to job training and job hunt
- COVID-19 testing locations and information on how COVID-19 is spread and how to prevent infection.
- Directly addressing questions related to immigrants. It is important to note there is no public charge for receiving certain emergency financial assistance such as stimulus check, unemployment insurance and short-term emergency local benefits. However, certain federal assistance could be considered as a public charge. Please refer to USCIS website or refer to immigration attorney for details.
- My 2020 Census
If you would like to learn more about these services, call 703-228-1300 Monday through Friday 8 am -5 pm.
See details in the website below:
- Unemployment insurance info: https://www.vec.virginia.gov/
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia: http://www.lsnv.org/
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia: (703) 778-6800.
Lantuun Dohio USA shared Zoom Live Session from its Facebook page to many Mongolian groups on Facebook and was able to reach 4800 views up to date Feb 7th, 2021. If you would like to watch the live session, please click